Saturday, March 22, 2008

Diabetes question.

This is a question for those familiar with diabetes:

We have a absolutely fantastic sitter (no, you can't have her name!) but came across an opportunity to use an almost 16-year-old boy to look after the kids last night. This boy has had diabetes for almost 5 years and uses the syringe/pens. I left a note outlining what the kids should have for their snack (at 7:45), what time for bed (8:30), etc. I verbally confirmed that Tomas should be tested before his snack and whenever he or the sitter think he needs to be tested. I left my cell phone number and said we were just going for supper to a nearby restaurant so he should feel free to call anytime. [I didn't mention insulin because in the past when we've been out for supper we just give it to him when we get home (9:00 at the latest). That way the sitter doesn't have to give the needle or calculate the amount.]

When we came home (8:30 - ya ya - we're party animals). I told Todd that I would drive the sitter home and he could give Tomas his bedtime insulin. The sitter said "Oh, I gave him 3 units at snack time. I wasn't sure if I was supposed to give it to him so we found his log book and I just figured it out and gave him the 3." (Which is totally what I would've given him).

The sitter uses NpH (cloudy) but Tomas has switched to Levemir (clear) for his night insulin but this didn't seem to phase the sitter. He said "Tomas said he uses the green pen for bed. So that is what I used". Again, this is true.

OK, am I an overreacting parent because the sitter gave Tomas insulin or should I be thrilled? My husband thinks that this is totally fine and because the boy lives it - it's like second nature to him - he probably didn't even think twice about giving the insulin. I think - if he wasn't sure what to do - he could have called.

In any event, the kids love playing with him (he can throw a grape up and catch it in his mouth on the way down; they played hockey and in fact, were watching hockey on the TV when we came home). I figure I'll just have to be more specific next time although I must say that what he did was totally correct and that it is kind of a nice to have a sitter that just knows.

Labels:

1 Comments:

At March 24, 2008 at 7:32 AM, Blogger Jamie said...

Ok, when reading it, I was a little taken aback because he was so forward with it. But after analyzing (cause that's what I do LOL) I think you may have found yourself a real gem here! He lives with it and wasn't afraid to do what comes naturally to him. He felt confident enough to care for your son and give him his insulin shots w/o panicking and phoning you. He checked the logbook, asked questions and made sure he was doing the right thing ... that's the only thing I found forward of him, simply because it was his first time babysitting him (I typed babyshitting ... hee hee). Anyhow, maybe next time you can go into it a bit further with him and discuss the shots so you feel more comfortable about it by knowing that he will definitely be doing it right based on what you talked to him about (does that make any sense??).

Anyhow, I think you may have found a keeper here!

(Hope you guys had a good Easter!)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home