Sunday, February 24, 2008

Kids kids kids...

[Background: The capital of the Province of Manitoba is a city called Winnipeg (pronounced Wi-na-peg)].

Driving home from swimming lessons - totally out of the blue...

Tomas "Do you know that in the city of Winnipeg you can Win a Pig?"
Me "No, I didn't know that and by the way, it is pronounced WinniPEG".

Tomas "No, it's PIG and if we go there we can Win a Pig, Mom! Really. True story!"
Me "Tomas, I lived in Winnipeg for 2 years and I never won a pig. And seriously it is pronounced WinniPEG."

At this point we are all laughing so hard at the absurdity of our conversation we're having a hard time continuing the conversation.

Tomas "Mom, I guess you never won a Pig there because you pronounced Winnapig wrong."
Me "Tomas, for love or money, you are cracking me up - but I kid you not - it is pronounced WinniPEG. Oh and furthermore - your father was born there."


Tomas "Oh cool, I wonder if he ever won a Pig."

*****
And so to Todd (father of my children), my in-laws and many friends who live in Winnipeg - why is it called Winnipeg and have you ever won a Peg? Err, dare I ask, a Pig?

POST UPDATE: The name Winnipeg is a transcription of a western Cree word meaning "muddy waters".

-------------------------------
And because Toria doesn't want to be left out of the silliness - she wants me to tell everyone that she has learned to swallow air and burp loud obnoxious burps on cue. Oh joy. I'm so proud!

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At February 24, 2008 at 6:07 PM, Blogger Jamie said...

Woah! All this time, after all these trips to Winnipeg, we could have been getting free pigs??

Who knew??

LOL - your kids are a hoot!

 
At February 24, 2008 at 6:56 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

One of your family will be sure to give you a pig for your yard (a metal pig). Also, I've heard Toria's burps - they are earth shaking. Their grandparents are very proud of them also!

 
At February 24, 2008 at 7:02 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

When I was little I always thought it was spelled 'Winterpeg'. It runs in the family!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home