Sunday, January 20, 2008

Sports Sunday

What an awesome day we had on Sunday. First up was a game by the local hockey team - Victoria Salmon Kings (ya ya, I hear ya 'that is the dumbest name I have ever heard for a hockey team'.... BUT get this - they live on the west coast and play in the ECHL... Eastern Canadian Hockey League). Oh well, never mind. The point is - they won!

YES. She put THE TATTOO ON HER FOREHEAD! She's only 5 - what am I going to do when she's 15????? Note to self: Start looking into convents.




The Beavers and Sparks (5-year-old Girl Guides/Girl Scouts who wear pink!) were the special invited guests so, of course, that was us! Tomas sat with the Beavers (unfortunately, Todd was sitting in row 12, aisle seat, of a plane and had to miss the game) and Toria & I sat with the Sparks. I dashed back and forth to make sure everyone was OK - and I gave Tomas a walkie-talkie to call me if he needed anything. He totally did not. "He did awesome" says the mother as she wipes away the tears from her cheeks... her little boy is growing up.

Fortunately, there is still a little tattoo-wearing girl who needs me.


But the most coolest part was after the game when we got to skate on the ice with the Salmon Kings.






Toria had the Salmon Kings diaper-wearing mascot... a MARMOT! (true story - I guess the same drug-induced haze that led the 'suits' to name a western team playing in the ECHL the Salmon Kings also thought it was OK to put a diaper on a mascot . (OK - totally digressed there) ... Toria had the diaper-wearing mascot, err, Marty, the Mascot sign her helmet! Tomas opted to have the players sign his mini-hockey stick.

AND as is if hockey and skating wasn't exciting enough we then dashed to the pool where there was a JDRF function. We had skated too long and missed the swim but we got there in time for the supper and event thingmagigy. [Clearly the JDRF employee who organized it has no diabetes relative because for a 6:30 Sunday-night dinner she ordered big, gooey, thick crust pizza for the kids... oh ya!!you diabetes parents out there totally get that. 1-hour swim then pizza. At 6:30pm! Yep! (To non-diabetes readers - Pizza's does totally crazy things. It generally makes blood sugar go really really low and then BOOM it is sky high. And in this case, that would happen in the middle of the night when we should be sleeping. That is why - Tomas has pizza at lunch times. Except Sunday night when I got up twice in the middle of the night to check his sugar levels].

However, it was yummy and I was announced as the Family Chair for the Walk to Cure Diabetes. I have no idea what that involves but I guess I'll find out. Yack yack, yack, I'll get to ...
the guest speaker ....

Chris Jarvis who is an Olympic rower (competing this summer in Beijing) who has type 1. He was an awesome inspiration for the kids (and a reminder to us parents that these kids survive diabetes and they can do anything).

The most interesting thing he said was when he was telling us a story about his semi-final race at the Athens Olympics. Apparently, Canada was in 1st place with only meters to go and they were accused by the South Africans of hitting their boat. Eventually, Canada was disqualified and the South Africans won bronze in the final. What he said was that that diabetes actually HELPED him to make sense of this tragic situation... he thought about all the precautions and care he takes to manage his diabetes and the reason he lost his chance at Olympic gold had nothing at all to do with diabetes - it was a total fluke. And that is sorta what life is about. Living life with diabetes not letting diabetes decide your life.[And he's planning on getting gold this summer in Beijing].

And finally in my long-winded blog today... My snowdrops are blooming!


Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At January 24, 2008 at 12:56 PM, Blogger Jamie said...

1) Ok, I thought the Wheat Kings was a stupid hockey team name ... you guys have us beat LOL. BUT HEY - we all cheer for the local dudes, despite the name and despite what the mascot is and/or wears (a diaper? Wow ..). We have a coyote (at least I think that's what he is ... he's of a dog nature, anyhow). I heard the inside of that costumes smells to high hell, too. Poor guy who wears it ....

Looks like you had a blast!

2) Congrats on being the Family rep for the walk! You'll have to let us know how that all goes. We have our next meeting for our walk on Sunday :) And you've prompted me to go in search of those pics of Chris Jarvis now .... ;-)

3) Pictures of blooming flowers, while I woke up to a wind chill of -47 this morning. I'm a little green with envy over here ... just a tad ... yep, just a tad *can you sense the sarcasm?*.

 
At January 24, 2008 at 5:55 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Okay. Okay. I really enjoyed your blog until the last paragraph. Since we are in coldest part of the winter we don't want to see or hear about flowers coming up! Mom

 
At January 24, 2008 at 9:15 PM, Blogger C.L.W. said...

My dearest husband is currently in Winnipeg where it is -43 with the windchill ... he is feeling your prairie pain. AND given that I spent 30+ years of my life on the whipping-wind-snow-pellets-and-crunchy-snow-not-snow-to-make-snowmen-with-and-frozen eyelashes-but-never-stuck-my-tonque-on-a-metal-post-bald-ass-prairie-I am damn glad when I see those snowdrops popping up. OK, but point taken I remember what it was like when come mid-October your shoulders go into that cold clench position and you walk around for 6 months waiting to unthaw. I won't mention the flowers anymore.... err, I'll try not too! :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home