Thursday, November 23, 2006

Medals & rained out.

Toria got a medal at her gymanstics today. This is done 4 times a year and is a HUGE success. She wore it ALL DAY. Then we did our typical Thursday dash back to pick up Tomas for soccer. He was so proud. His dad was coming to his last soccer of the season.

They started playing soccer, it was sunny, they were 5 minutes into the drills and the rain - it did cometh... SIDEWAYS. Oh lord were we soaked. I told the coach that we were going - this was no good and he said he agreed, called the session and then as we were climbing into the truck - the sun's rays shined down on me. By that time it was too late - we were so wet and cold and the field was one big mud puddle that it didn't matter.

The good news is that soccer starts again in January.

Speaking of January I have to talk about the weather. I try not to talk about the weather because I'm sure no one wants to here me blathering about the no-snow, still leaves on the trees, didn't have to shell out $$ for snow gear this year, etc. (plus my relatives in Regina have been warmer for about 2 weeks!)

Where was I going with this?

Oh yes, there is 30% chance of rain showers or snow flurries on Sunday (today is Thursday) and this is HUGE. I mean people are obsessed. I'm from the prairies where we're always talking about the weather "too hot, too cold, too dry, too wet" (and maybe all of those at the same time!) so I know weather talk. At the kids' schools the talk outside both the classrooms was all about the snow for Sunday. The strange thing is that they are so fascinated with the possibility of snow I'm not sure if they are excited and can't wait to play in the snow or not excited and wondering if they're going to be snowed in for a week.

I guess I shouldn't laugh - one gets acclimatized quickly. It was +7 on our walk to school this morning and we all wore toques and mittens. Less than a month ago I was talking about how now self-respecting prairie-kid would wear mittens when it is -7C let alone +7C.

AN UPDATE: After I posted this I checked the weather in Edmonton and they said with the windchill it is -28C. Cripes, THAT IS COLD. I feel for you. The good news is is that it is midnight there so you should all be covered up in your cozy beds with your heating pad/spouse/significant other keeping you warm.

1 Comments:

At November 24, 2006 at 6:51 AM, Blogger foodie suz said...

I see you have turned all soft already from your life on the coast.

+7 and you were wearing a TUQUE! Shameful, prairie girl.

If it snows there, I expect you running up and down your street in your bathing suit! Show them who is tough!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home